June Meeting Minutes

Attendees
  • Dustin Chapman, Fairview Behavioral Services (Other Substance Abuse Organization)
  • Shane Mikkelson, Osseo Police Dept. (Law Enforcement)
  • Teresa Lunt (Parent)
  • Kristin Turner, Burlington Labs (Business)
  • Donny Shope, Anthony Louis Center (Other Substance Abuse Organization)
  • Mary Rettin, North Memorial (Healthcare)
  • Lauren Bul, Hennepin Regional Poison Center (Other Substance Abuse Organization)
  • Michelle Jones, North Memorial (Healthcare)
  • Grant Smith, Maple Grove Police Dept. (Law Enforcement)
  • Amber Smith, North Memorial/PFC (Healthcare)
Steering Committee Members Not in Attendance
  • LeeAnn Mortensen, North Memorial (Healthcare)
  • Marie Maslowski, Maple Grove Hospital (Healthcare)
  • Krista Brenno, Osseo High School (Schools)
  • Jessica Wong Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation (Other Substance Abuse Organization)
  • Jen Holper, PrairieCare (Healthcare)
  • Lorry Day, Life Lines for Youth (Business)
  • Randi Ordner, PrairieCare (Youth Serving Organization)
  • Student Representative
  • (open), Hennepin Co. Services & Public Health Dept. (State/Local Gov’t)
Welcome & Introductions

Teresa called the meeting to order. Attendees introduced themselves and shared their favorite concert venue in Minnesota. A motion was made and seconded to approve the June minutes. Motion carried.

Disposal Box Promotion

Amber shared that Robbinsdale District recently partnered with local law enforcement to properly dispose of leftover controlled substances from the schools. PFC would like to continue to support this partnership and strategy to safely remove controlled substances from the district when the school year concludes for the summer.

A medicine disposal box promotion spreadsheet was developed by Rowan, a pharmacy intern who works at North Memorial and has recently partnered with PFC. Amber shared the spreadsheet with attendees and requested for additional places to promote the medicine disposal boxes. Grant suggested adding the medicine disposal box flyer to Maple Grove’s utility billing, Chief’s newsletter, and social media pages. Shane suggested displaying the PFC’s medicine abuse ad on the city of Osseo’s billboard. It was also suggested to distribute the flyer at National Night Out events coming up in August. Dustin mentioned including the flyer in patient discharge materials. Attendees discussed other options to promote the boxes, such as funeral homes, school athletic departments, and dental offices.

ACTION ITEM: Amber and Rowan will update the medicine disposal box promotion spreadsheet and contact appropriate person to distribute the medicine abuse ad/disposal box location flyer.

Involving Youth in Our Work

PFC wants to continue to engage youth in our work. Specifically, we want to engage them in our top priorities/strategies since the current Action for Reaction model will no longer be funded. Amber shared current youth involvement action items from PFC’s action plan. Amber had attendees write brief responses on a post-it to the questions posted up on the wall:

  • How have we empowered youth in the past?
    • Responses: Raising awareness of responsible hosting and by educating youth of dangers of prescribed drugs, Action for Reaction, youth working with community partners, listening to surveys, NYLI leadership training through CADCA, spring campaigns (#dayaftertoday, T2T, green bean)
  • Outcomes of involving youth in our work?
    • Responses: Youth more informed, share current drug trends, youth taking on member programs, developing a passion for prevention, increased acceptability of youth making healthy choices, better sense of issues they are facing and what beliefs are prevalent, engagement of youth in helping solution-based goals, Social Host Ordinance passage, media attention to issues (social campaigns), civic presentations
  • How do we want to continue? Can we continue without youth involvement?
    • Responses: Community prevention education regarding “medical” marijuana, involve directly in each of our 4 strategies with workgroups, having someone internal to help encourage involvement, incentives to increase youth involvement, continue to provide well-balanced information on what is known/not known about substances and effects, piggy-back on current formed committees, reinvest into Action for Reaction, continue encouragement in education/activism, host later meetings, send involved youth to CADCA, explore work internship and using hours for school (medical student group), contact Boy/Girl scouts

ACTION ITEM: Shane will contact Gary. Grant will reach out to MG police explorers. Amber will reach out to student medical group.

Adjourned at 3:30 PM

Next Meeting is: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2p at Osseo City Hall, Community Room B, 415 Central Ave #1

Share Your Thoughts

*

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *